Internet Policy Statement - Blue Earth Community Library
The mission of the Blue Earth Community Library is to provide materials and services that extend and promote education, provide educational opportunity, intellectual stimulation, give information and pleasure to the citizens of the community.
The Internet is one advance in technology that can provide information and resources beyond the collections available in our region. It offers a variety of information that is constantly changing.
All Internet resources accessible through the library are provided equally to all users. The Internet may contain materials of a controversial nature. The Blue Earth Community Library uses Internet filtering technology on all computers as mandated by the Children’s Internet Protection Act. Parents of minor children must assume their responsibility and provide guidance for their children while using this resource.
Library staff cannot control the availability of information links, which change rapidly and unpredictably. Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete or current information. Users need to be good information consumers, questioning the validity of the information.
The Internet is a global connection of interlocking computer networks. The Blue Earth Community Library offers seven public access stations. Internet and Computer Policies for Use:
1) The Internet stations are available for use during regular library hours.
2) Requests for use may be made at the circulation desk by signing the log. You must have your library card to use the Internet. Persons with overdue materials or outstanding fines will be denied use until their card is clear. Times can be reserved in advance by calling the library at 526-5012.
3) Computer sessions are for 1 hour. Patrons must respect times reserved in advance.
4) There is a $.15 per page charge for printing to defray the cost of the paper and supplies.
5) The library does not provide the following services, which are of a personal nature and appropriate on private service: e-mail accounts, list & news services.
6) Internet sites of a sexually explicit or violently visual nature are not permitted.
7) The library reserves the right to restrict or deny the use of this service if the policy is violated.