Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
September 11, 2017 - 4:40 pm
Members present: Chuck Hunt, Wendy Cole, Ruth McNerney, Cindy Lyon, Wilma Bittinger, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch
Meeting called to order at 4:40 by Chuck Hunt.
Minutes: July 2017 minutes were reviewed and approved on a motion by Cindy L., second by Ruth M.
Bills: August expense report reviewed & approved on motion by Ruth M.., second by Wilma B.
Property Tax amount was discussed. Preliminary limit levy for library has been met.
1) Eclipse Party on August 21st was very successful, despite storm clouds. Served lunch to nearly 200 people and many more attended who did not eat.
2) September 13th was library card sign up day. Partnered with Elmore and Winnebago to encourage citizens to get a library card and/or to update their personal information if they already have a card.
3) September 14-16, Friends of the Library will hold the annual used book sale in the library.
4) Author and news reporter Cody Benjamin is publishing another book and would like to hold another book signing in the library sometime in October.
5) Eva has been weeding out books and moving shelves to finish up on the remodeling/repurposing of the community room. Eva is hoping to get old class photos from BEHS to display on walls.
6) Children's events are well attended. Story Time has been changed to Thursday at 10:30 to better accommodate family schedules
7) Eva has been working on a genealogy project for Rick Schwen involving the history of the Schwen Ice Cream Co. Rick is putting together a website of the history of this local company.
1) Friends of the Library are helping set up for the book sale and will provide volunteers on the days of the sale
2) Their next fund raiser is a sale of old photo proofs and negatives from the Behrens Studio
1) Teacher packets are almost ready to be delivered to the schools
3) Staff is stable but there may be a need to hire someone new if one member finds a job with more hours.
Motion to adjourn at 5:15. Next meeting November 13, 2017
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary