Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
March 13, 2017 - 4:30 pm
Members present: Chuck Hunt, Cindy Lyon, Wendy Cole, Ruth McNerney, Wilma Bittinger, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch. Excused Absence: Bonita Zimmer
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by Chuck Hunt.
Minutes: January 2017 minutes were reviewed and approved on a motion by Cindy M, second by Wendy C
Bills: January/February expense report reviewed & approved on motion by Wilma B., second by Wendy C.
1) Library is hosting Barb Pearson's art work March 16th - 18th. Meet Barb Saturday March 18, 12-1 PM.
2) Ag Day - March 21. Library is participating with local USDA to promote Agriculture. Display and Featured Ag related books.
3) BEA READS - This year's title is Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. Library received $1600 grant from TDS to sponsor events in April.
v April 10 at 6PM: "Turn your Family Stories into a Memoir" workshop, let by MN Book Award finalist, Rachael Hanel,
v April 13 - Book Discussion of Ordinary Grace
v April 20th at 7PM - Author William Kent Krueger will speak at the PAC.
v April 26th - Bus trip to tour New Ulm, (setting for the story is based on New Ulm) Cost: $35. Eva will share information with Senior Center and others to increase attendance.
4) Eva is working on moving shelving and shifting books in the non-fiction section.
5) TDS - John Miller from TDS will be installing new wireless access point allowing libraries to collect wireless stats for annual report. Other equipment & software will also be installed.
1) Valentine's tea was a success, bringing over $1200 in memberships and donations
2) March 2017: Election of new officers. Ruth McNerney- President, Sue Ellingsen - Vice-President,
Lisa Kittleson - Secretary, Wilma Bittinger - Treasurer
3) FOL members will provide treats for the Blue Earth Reads events as needed, provided $200 towards cost of book, and help with Barb Pearson's art show.
4) FOL member Carolyn Dixon has made a quilt that depicts book shelves with 200 books where names can be embroidered. The spaces will be sold to raise funds for projects to improve the library. Contributors can have their name or the name of a child embroidered on a book; $10 for a child, $20 for adult name, and $30 for a business name.
5) April is the Friends' membership drive.
Remodel discussion. A few things need to be put in place yet but main construction is finished.
1) Staffing is going well.
2) TDS contract for this year was signed by Board President, Chuck H.
3) Summer Events are in the planning stages and more details will be available at next meeting. Tim would like to find a way to get area teens more involved in activities at the library.
Motion to adjourn at 5:15. Next meeting May 8, 2017
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary