Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
November 14, 2016 - 4:30 pm
Members present: John Huisman, Wilma Bittinger, Cindy Lyon, Ruth McNerney, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch.
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John H.
Minutes: September 2016 minutes were reviewed and approved on a motion by Ruth M, second by Cindy L.
Bills: September/October expense report reviewed and approved on a motion by Wilma B, second by Cindy L.
1) Library is hiring a 20 hour per week position. Person will be responsible for children’s programming as well as regular library duties. Closing date is November 18th. Amanda Steinke submitted her notice November 3. During the transition, Eva has modified her schedule to cover the shifts.
2) The new wall opening to the Community Room is complete. Painting the walls, staining the woodwork and patching the carpeting and adding additional shelving is still to be done. Tim and Eva will line up someone to do those finishing touches. FOL’s donation of $1500 towards the cost of this remodel has been submitted and will be paid from the FOL’s SMIF account.
3) The Halloween costume party was well attended.
4) The Library will be closed over Thanksgiving, November 24 – 26.
5) Rotation Delivery: Business as usual.
6) Traverse des Sioux: A draft of the TDS membership fees was distributed. As of today, BE Community Library’s cost is $12,123, compared to 2016 fee of $12,250. Ann Hokanson, Austin Public Library Director, has accepted the position as Executive Director of TDS. She starts January 1, 2017.
FOL: Members will coordinate volunteers to help staff librarians at checkout desk, shelving books, etc.
January 9th: Meeting and launch of BEA READS.
February 11th: Valentine’s tea and membership drive. Possible author book signing.
March 2017: Election of new officers.
1) Eva is in the process of taking applications for new Children’s librarian. Accepting applications until Nov. 18th.
2) Possible new board member under consideration is Wendy Cole.
3) Tim I. suggested that a gathering for children over the Christmas vacation period be considered.
Motion to adjourn at 4:55. Next meeting will be January 9, 2017.
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary