Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
September 12, 2016 - 4:30 pm
Members present: John Huisman, Wilma Bittinger, Chuck Hunt, Cindy Lyon, Ruth McNerney, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch.
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John H.
Minutes: July 2016 minutes were reviewed and approved on a motion by Cindy L, second by Ruth M.
Note: after approval by the board, minutes are sent to Bonnie at the City Offices. She then posts them on the City website which is accessible to the public.
Bills: July/August expense report reviewed and approved on a motion by Wilma B., second by Cindy L.
1) Summer reading program for Pre-K, K-5, Teens (grades 6-12) and adult had good participation. 28 signed up for the pre-K and 5 participated, 88 K-5 signed up, 55 participated and 24 completed the program. 12 teens signed up and 5 participated. There were also 20 Pre-K activities with 52 children participating, 10 K-5 activities with 65 children participating, and 12 teen activities with 27 teens participating.
2) Eva has been working on painting the community room in anticipation of the remodel.
3) John Miller from TDS is coming September 14th to fix issues with the server.
4) November is National Novel Writing Month. The library is participating as a site with NaNoWriMO to promote writing. The first writing workshop is Saturday September 17th from 12pm to 3pm
5) A) Library employee Tracy Kutsi has given her notice. Her last day is September 17th.
B) Corrine Eckhardt submitted a grievance regarding lack of an ergonomic work station. Eva have purchased a keyboard and mouse extenders and has 3 available chairs per Corrine's specific requirements. Also all monitors are at suggested height with one monitor that is adjustable.
C) Amanda Steinke is going to MN Library Association annual conference in Duluth September 29th and 30th. She has applied for the TDS honorarium for $400.
6) The FOL group has been working setting up for the book sale September 15, 16 and 17th.
7) Teen Advisory Board: TAB hosted several round table reads in September of Harry Potter, and the Cursed Child.
8) Traverse Des Sioux: An executive Director was hired then two days before his; start day, he quit. The position is being advertised again. In the meantime Bob Boese the contracted Director is staying on to manage until someone is hired. Boese is calculating the 2017 membership fees with note of a 3% increase. Eva will attend reports training in October. NOTE: John H. suggested that Eva make arrangements to have our local representative to TDS come to our November meeting to fill us in on what the problems are at the TDS offices.
1) Community Room remodel will begin after the book sale concludes.
1) Appearance by Corrine Eckhardt with a request for staff ergonomic desk consideration. She feels computer station needs to be adjustable for staff comfort. Discussion followed and Eva will work with Corrine to help her figure out a way to deal with the issues.
2) With changes in staffing, the board approved a motion by Cindy L, seconded by Ruth Mc. to offer Amanda Steinke the extra hours that will be available after Traci leaves rather than hire another part time person.
Motion to adjourn at 5:28. Next meeting will be November 14, 2016
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary