Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
May 9, 2016 - 4:30 pm
Members present: John Huisman, Wilma Bittinger, Chuck Hunt, Cindy Lyon, Ruth McNerney, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch.
Meeting called to order at 4:35 by John
Minutes: March 14, 2016 minutes were reviewed and approved.
Bills: March/April expense report reviewed and approved
1) Eva's May Director's report included an update on BEA Reads - feedback was good.
2) June 3, K-5 students will visit library to learn about the summer reading program.
3) Blue Earth Area Student work program ended April 29th.
4) United Builders is putting together a quote for the library remodel project.
5) March/April 2016 Stats:
6) Friends of the Library: Membership drive going on. The Free Little Library is back at Putnam Park
7) Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) The teens have been focusing on preparing for the summer reading programs.
8) Rotation Delivery: Installed a new printer and computer at Bricelyn. Preparing for Summer Reading for Rotation libraries.
9) Traverse Des Sioux: TDS catalogers goal is to reduce the backlog items by 1000 per month. In April TDS reduced the backlog by 981. Items are being returned faster. TDS has posted the Executive Director position.
Battle of the Books is August 6th in St. Peter. Blue Earth patron, Rachel Nemanic was on the 2015 winning team. This year's books are: Seven Stones by Julia Lee, We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, and An Ember in the Ashes by Saaba Tahir.
Seth Erickson, the new automation coordinator has been busy fixing issue with the online catalog.
1) Staffing issues are stabilized. Corinne was injured in a fall, away from work, and is only able to do light duty work for a while.
1) Kathleen Benz resigned from the Library Board and a replacement needs to be found.
2) Carpet Cleaning is to be done soon.
3) Remodel plans continue to be finalized
4) Plans are being made to continue BE Reads for the 2017 winter season.
5) Eva continues to help with the County library system for which the city is compensated.
Motion to adjourn at 5:02. Next meeting will be July 11, 2016
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary