Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
March 14, 2016 - 4:30 pm
Members present: Wilma Bittinger, Cindy Lyon, Ruth McNerney, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch, Chuck Hunt.
Meeting called to order at 4:35 by Tim I.
Welcome new board member Chuck Hunt
Minutes: January 2016 minutes were reviewed and approved.
Bills: January/February expense report reviewed and approved
1) Eva's March Director's report included an update on the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program: two readers have earned the program's book bag.
2) BEA Reads events have been scheduled, program dates have been circulated and the book The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is available for patrons to read and share throughout the community.
3) The computer virtualization project is complete. 2 patron computers have been added to the teen area in the library.
4) January/February 2016 Stats:
6) Friends of the Library: FOL Valentine's Tea went well, with over $500 taken in through memberships and donations. Other memberships have come in since then and a $1320.00 donation was received from the Doris Pooley estate.
7) Teen Advisory Board (T.A.B.) The teens participated in a cooking class and are helping design Summer Reading Activities for k-5. Construction is continuing on a Hobbit Hole for the program
8) Rotation Delivery: Business as usual.
9) Traverse Des Sioux: Both Executive Director Dayle Zelenka and Assistant Director Orrin Ausen were terminated in February. TDS has hired an interim Director for 6-8 months. TDS has 5,554 backlog of library materials that need to be cataloged. The cataloging task force met and is looking into several possibilities to eliminate the backlog.
1) Staffing issues discussed in January seem to be resolved.
1) Carpet Cleaning is on the schedule for late April or early May. Chemdry had the best bid for the job at $748. On a motion by Cindy, second by Chuck, the board approved having the bid go to Chemdry.
2) The board reviewed some of the options the Friends of the Library are considering for remodeling the Community Room to increase its usefulness. Glass dividers is being discussed as a partial replacement for the existing wall between the library and the community room. Tim I. will work with Steve Anderson to get things started on actual construction plans.
Motion to adjourn at 5:16. Next meeting will be May 9, 2016
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary