Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
March 9, 2015 - 4:30 pm
Members present: John Huisman, Cindy Lyon, Ruth McNerney, Kathy Benz, Wilma Bittinger, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Tim Ibisch.
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John Huisman.
Minutes: February 2015 minutes were approved.
Bills: February expense report reviewed and approved.
1) Amanda and Eva are working on ideas to revamp the teen area of the library. They are preparing a survey to be distributed to the teens in the BEA school district to find out what the students would most like to see in the library.
2) Eva is also working on re-forming a teen advisory board.
3) The summer reading program for children will center on heroes. The adult program will be the Community Read. Numerous copies of the book Orphan Train by Christine Baker Kline are being distributed to patrons who are encouraged to read the book and pass their copy on to others. There will be a community discussion of the book in April as well as several other presentations centering on the history of the orphan trains.
4) The new automation system from TDS has been activated and everyone continues to learn how to work with it and debug it.
February 2015 Stats (some missing because of issues with new automation system)
Items added not calculated
Users added not calculated
Ebook circ 129
ILL borrowed ?
ILL Loaned ?
Zinio circ 6
1) The Ag Center has been approved by the DMV as their new testing center. They will probably move from the Community Room in the library by May. This will free up the community room for library expansion. Eva expressed concern that she be informed as to where people who regularly used the Community Room in the past can now hold their gatherings. She did not want people to be angry or upset that they had no place to meet thus causing negative feelings towards the library. Tim and John felt that this should not be a problem and if it was, they would help Eva address it.
1) Saturday morning, March 14 from 10-12, Sue Ellingsen will be in the library to publicize and accept new memberships for the Friends of the Library.
2) Winnebago Manufacturing contacted board member and Chamber Director Cindy Lyon about donating 4 computers that they are replacing. Eva said the staff at the library would welcome the donation.
3) The library staff has received one complaint about the new television in the library being a distraction. The board recommended that as a compromise the TV be kept on mute with the closed captioning activated unless there was some sort of emergency such as severe storm warnings, etc.
Motion to adjourn at 5:11. Next meeting will be April 13, 2015.
Wilma Bittinger, Secretary