Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
August 11th 2014 - 4:30 pm
Members present: Kathy Benz, Wilma Bittinger, Sue Ellingsen, John Huisman, Doris Kessel, Cindy Lyon, Director Eva Gaydon, Acting City Administrator Todd Bodem, and invited guest Alissa Blaha, Development Coordinator for SMIF
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John
Minutes: July minutes were approved.
Bills: July expense report reviewed and approved. Warrantee on library roof runs out in January 2015 but there are no issues with it so no need to purchase extended warrantee.
1. Network being upgraded from 10Mb to 2Mb. 2 network switches, wireless firewall and wireless network extender were received from TDS.
2. Trial subscription to WOWbrary is being tested. It is an online newsletter that pulls from the library’s catalog and social media profiles. Eva is in the process of setting up the newsletter.
3. Summer Reading program is coming to a close. Weeding and re-organizing of shelves is in process.
4. Donations: Library received $1000.00 donation from United Way. Marjorie Engesser donated 2 copies of the movie she produced: Jay Johnson, The Two & Only. A motion was made, seconded and approved to accept the gifts. Motion passed.
Items added 182
Users added 27
Ebook circulation 131
ILL borrowed 19
ILL loaned 54
Zinio Circulation 6
1. Friends of the Library: SMIF Development Coordinator Alissa Blaha provided information on how SMIF will work with us and asked about the goals of the FOL. Main goals listed were repurposing Community Room, and increasing number of computers available for patrons of the library. January 1, 2015 was set as a target date for actual formation of local FOL. February 14, 2015 which is the 30th anniversary of BE Community Library being located in its current building, is the target for first fund raising event. $5000 is the required amount for start-up with SMIF. FOL core group will meet soon to firm up plans.
1. Eva would like to purchase Chrome books or IPad for each staff member since all of the High School students will be using them this year. Board moved to use the $1000 from United Way to purchase 5 tablets.
2. Printout of proposed budget was provided and board members will study it and discuss it further at September meeting.
Motion to adjourn at 5:11. Next meeting will be September 8, 2014.