Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
April 14, 2014 - 4:30 pm
Members present: Sue Ellingsen, John Huisman, Cindy Lyon, Kathy Benz, Wilma Bittinger, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Kathy Bailey
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John
Minutes: March minutes were approved.
Bills: March expense report and Revenue Guideline/3 year history were reviewed and approved.
1. Adult winter reading program “BingO” is over. 12 participants were all awarded a library mug filled with treats.
2. National Library week this week (April 13-19). The library is promoting “Tell your Library Story” through social networking. Friday April 18, library patrons can enjoy popcorn at the library.
3. Eva shared brochures on the “Geekthelibrary.org” program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. She hopes to get BE library more involved in activities from this program.
4. TDS news: The automation committee is in the process of choosing an automation vendor. The selection has been narrowed down to 3 vendors who will be invited to demo their product for TDS members.
5. TDS is also negotiating pricing for Wowbrary, a social marketing tool for staff that generates newsletters and other information for patrons. The current online patron database is under development for a more user-friendly customizable look.
6. Summer Reading program is being planned
7. Book sale of used library books will be held April 25 and 26. Ads have been placed in the newspaper as well as on-line.
8. January Stats:
Items added 91
Users added 21
Ebook circulation 186
ILL borrowed 22
ILL loaned 67
Zinio Circulation 25
Old Business: Library computers: Eva will purchase one more new one this year. John suggested that future plans include a requested increase to the budget to keep upgrading technology as needs develop. It was also suggested that the county board be kept aware and involved with the city library plans. Andrew Moen who serves on the county board and is also a member of the BEA school staff was mentioned as a possible contact to keep everyone in the loop.
Friends of the Library: A core group was formed to get the FOL started. Volunteers from the library board include Sue Ellingsen, Cindy Lyon, Kathy Benz and Wilma Bittinger.
Saturday evening, June 14 has been set for the first fund raiser for the Blue Earth Community Foundation of which the FOL will be a sub-group. It was suggested that one of the FOL core group speak at the June 14 event to raise awareness of the formation of Friends of the Library
New Business: None
Motion to adjourn was made at 5:22 and carried unanimously. Next meeting will be May 12, 2014