Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
January 13, 2014 - 4:30 pm
Members present: Sue Ellingsen, John Huisman, Doris Kessel, Cindy Lyon, Wilma Bittinger, Director Eva Gaydon and City Administrator Kathy Bailey
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John
Minutes: December minutes were approved.
Bills: December expense report was reviewed and approved.
1. Adult winter reading program includes a bingo card which readers can fill out as they read different genres named on the bingo card. They will then be entered in a drawing for a prize each month.
2. Jan.22, Eva will teach another e-reader class through Community Ed.
3. Jan 25th-Tracy has planned a snow man craft class for grades K-5.
4. Table has been set up near the entrance for tax forms available to the public.
5. Traverse Des Sioux News
6. December Stats:
ILL borrowed 28
ILL loaned 44
Zinio Circulation 50
1. SWOT review: Board members will review printed summary of brainstorming session and at the Feb. meeting will prioritize the top 3 or 4 goals that need attention first. Eva did discuss the possibility of a face-lift for the interior of the library with Shelly Greiman and she is willing to make an assessment should that be chosen as a priority by the board.
2. Establishing a “Friends of the Library” group was also discussed and will be considered more at future meetings.
3. Writers Workshop Review: Eva presented the financial report on the costs of the two annual workshops. The cost of the 2013 event ($3507) far surpassed the income ($465) and there are not enough funds left in the Vera Steinberg bequest (current balance: $2996.99) to repeat the event. Outside sponsors would need to be found if the workshop is to continue. Possible sponsors suggested included the Faribault County Register, Fairmont Sentinel, Mankato Free Press, local artist Victor Faith. Grant programs could also be considered as well as funding raising by a “Friends of the Library” group if such a group is formed.
New Business: None
Motion to adjourn was made at 5:15 and carried unanimously. Next meeting will be Feb. 10, 2014