Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
February 11, 2013
Members present: John Huisman, Lenny Clement, Sue Ellingsen, Wilma Bittinger, Doris Kessel and Director Eva Gaydon. Excused: Kathleen Benz
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John.
Minutes: January 2013 minutes were approved on motion by Sue, second by Wilma.
Bills: Approved on motion by Sue, second by Wilma
Eva shared a written Director’s Report with the board and the contents were discussed.
1. The janitor’s closet is in the process of being reorganized and restocked to abide by OSHA regulations. Eva is restocking with human friendly and environment friendly products.
2. Two new computers (HP All-in-One) have been installed and well received by patrons.
3. The purchase of a microfilm reader/printer will take place soon. The approximate cost will be $10555 which includes a computer to run the software. The Faribault County Historical Society will donate $1000 towards the purchase and Eva has applied for an additional $1000 grant from Wal-Mart. The major portion of the cost is being covered by a grant from the MN State Historical Society.
4. The 2012 library annual report is being prepared. Submission date is Feb. 15 through April 1.
5. TDS is sending out invoices for the first half of 2013 membership fee which is based on half of the stated fees. Because of TDS’s on-going cash flow problems, the original amount may be increased. The contract signed earlier does allow for either side to break the contract with a 30-day notice. Eva will keep the board informed of any changes to the original amount.
6. January stats: ILL-loaned-65, borrowed 26 items
EBook checkouts – 137
New library cards issued – 22
Library items added – 110
Jan. circulation – 2702 (not including rotation stops)
Writers’ Conference; On a motion by Lenny, second by Doris, the board chose September 28, 2013 for the second Blue Earth Valley Writers’ Conference and set a budget of $5000 for expenses. The Chamber, High School and Newspaper will be notified of the date for publicity and scheduling purposes. Eva will check with Lil Robinson to see if there might be a grant available from Prairie Lakes Arts Council to help with expenses. She will also contact Chuck Hunt at the Faribault County Register to see if there might be some sort of financial support from the newspaper.
1. Board members welcomed the newest board member, Doris Kessel to her first meeting
2. Story time is not being well attended and ideas on how to make it more successful were discussed including checking with daycare facilities and the school to coordinate schedules.
Motion to adjourn was made at 4:58 and carried unanimously. Next meeting will be March 11, 2013.