Blue Earth Community Library
Library Board Minutes
May 14, 2012
Members present: John Huisman, Lenny Clement, Sue Ellingsen, Kathleen Benz, Wilma Bittinger, Director Eva Gaydon, Writers’ Workshop Committee members; Lil Robinson, Chuck Hunt, Victor Faith.
Meeting called to order at 4:30 by John
April minutes were approved on a motion by Kathleen, seconded by Lenny.
A motion for payment of monthly bills was made by Wilma, seconded by Kathleen and approved.
1. Guitar Quartet performance was very nice and well received by those in attendance.
2. The Library Staff will be going through monthly safety training from now on. One month will be a fire extinguisher safety class which will require the entire staff to participate at one time. For this the library will have to be closed to the public for about 1.5 hours. This is a one time occurrence only.
3. Building maintenance: some electrical issues will be fixed, and the hot water heater replaced at a cost under $500.00
4. Planning continues on the repair of the front signage area, including repair of leaking window.
5. Staff member Corinne Eckhard earned her Master Gardner’s certificate and as part of that will be responsible for planting the window boxes on the front windows of the library.
6. The library received a memorial of $3000.
Eva continues to work on the up coming writers workshop.
So far authors who have verbally committed to attending are Frank Burris,
Sue moved that $5000 be made available for start-up funds for this project. Kathleen seconded and motion passed. These funds will come from the Vera Steinberg bequest. The money will be used for the deposit to
Names for the conference were also discussed. One suggestion was “Blue Earth River Writers Conference.” A final decision on the name will be made before advertizing begins.
1. Summer reading program has been planned and brochures are available at the front desk. Traci is in charge of the elementary program and Amanda is handling the teen activities. There will also be special activities for the adult patrons. Eva will coordinate participation in the TDS Battle of the Books event.
2. The library has partnered with the Fair board to have some activities at the Faribault County Fair. A grant of $2000 will help bring the Freddie Perez Show to the grounds during fair week. Eva also hopes to enlist the help of Winnebago Librarian Heidi Schultz to help man an information booth on the fair grounds, similar to a library reference desk but with information about the fair activities.
3. Blue Earth Community Library now has a Facebook page and everyone was encouraged to check it out.
Motion to adjourn was made at 5:30 and carried unanimously. Next meeting will be June 11, 2012